This week all adopters received a “letter” from Children’s Minister Edward Timpson. Well, I say letter, (for those who were not in receipt) it was a link to an website where I could download the letter! So already, we had just another little thing to do …..
Read it here, if you didn’t get yours! Edward_Timpson_Letter_to_adopters
I read his letter with an open mind, yet my ‘coping mechanism’ of sarcasm soon made an appearance. I was disappointed to be reading a curriculum vitae of what he has done, it was all me, me me. So, here’s what I would have liked to be reading..
I wanted to say huge thank you for:
- Saving the government millions of pounds by adopting these children and doing it for free! (You’ve no idea how much they would have costs us, the government, the country, if these children had stayed in care).
- Increasing the taxable income by consuming copious amounts of alcohol in order to sooth the day in the life of adoption.
- Educating our educators in nurseries, schools and colleges all around the country by teaching them about attachment, trauma and loss, how it affects and how to deal and help heal. This is saving us millions in training and development costs.
- By holding our schools to account by personally asking them and checking on their spending of the pupil premium (because we know how much you like to have more challenging conversations!).
- Doing it alone, mostly quietly, yet very tenaciously and saving us more money in SW support. By adopting we don’t have to assign and pay for Social Workers so we can continue to reduce funding and reduce numbers of Social Workers needed across the country.
- Putting your heart and soul into these kids and keeping them off the streets and so saving yet more money from police, criminal and justice systems.
- Making your home like a prison just to keep these kids safe, helps them learn, encourage reform as it keeps our prison numbers and costs down.
In recognition of all the above that you, our wonderful adopters do, here is what we are doing:
- Making it mandatory that all school staff, teachers, assistants, support staff are fully trained in attachment, trauma and loss within the next year.
- Have mandatory training too for all Education Psychologists, Social Workers, Welfare Workers.
- The Camhs task force will in place in the next 6 months and will be fully funded, trained and educated to provide the very best care, understanding and regular appointments.
- Make it a criminal offence for anyone to be judgemental, derogatory and generally unkind to adoptive parents whenever they try to engage in any of the above services.
In addition, we are setting up FREE regular monthly deliveries of chocolate and wine or beer to every adoptive household, for the rest of your lives.
Finally, every summer holiday there will be fully funded holiday camps / cruise ships for you to engage in your regular summer holiday. At these places all staff will be trained in dealing with behaviour and trauma so that you can relax and enjoy your holiday. We know that providing this will still be much cheaper than paying for these children to remain in care, so
thank you, thank you, thank you!
Your Government Loves You!
I’ve linked this with The Adoption Social Weekly shout out #WASO